Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

August 2, 2011: August already! We are officially in the "monsoon" season in Utah, which is funny to me. We're the 2nd driest state, yet we have this "rainy" season that brings afternoon showers and higher humidity. I like the rainstorms. Could definitely do without the hum-ditity!

I'm going to whine in this post - just saying. But, I'll start off by reiterating that I'm incredibly blessed in countless ways, so I really have no just cause to whine. It simply has to come out and I'm sure my family would rather it jammed up the blogging world instead of their sensitive ears.

It's no secret that I hate to clean bathrooms. It's the worst household chore invented. Now, granted, I would rather HAVE a bathroom two steps away from my bed at night and at those times when I'm sick or I just want to close the door and have privacy, but my utmost dream would be to have maid service included in the price of a toilet and shower. Is that really too much to ask? (Apparently it is because some contractor has not come up with a package deal yet.) I've been whining about this chore for EVER, but it has become a sore trial lately because of my hair loss. Again, I will state for the record that my hair loss is minimal compared to my sweet friends who have undergone or are currently undergoing chemo treatments - radiation is nothing compared to that poison, and really, WHY am I whining about something so minuscule? But the fact is that I am (and have been) losing hair and it is EVERYWHERE in my bathroom. Gross, huh?

I've gotten a little smarter about combating the hair problem. I clean with a dry paper towel BEFORE I clean with a wet wipe - that seems to shunt the millions of hairs down to the floor instead of just rearranging them again on a different surface. I'm embarrassed to say that though I've tried to keep my bathroom wiped up and scrubbed down the past few months, the floor has been sadly ignored - until last Saturday. I took all the rugs out, stuck them in the washing machine, and then took the broom to the corners and crevices. Holy Moly!! I could have fashioned a wig for a small child with all the hair that I swept up! It was unreal, and yet, TOO real. "See?" I told my family, as if they needed confirmation besides the glaring bald spots. "Yuck!" they said, and I heartily agreed. It is yuck, with a capital Y.

I've decided that rather than whining about the obvious discomfort of thinning hair in places I've always had too much hair (wonder if that will ever be the new norm again?), I need to be grateful for the hair I do have - like eyelashes and eyebrows and enough hair on top that I've resorted to curlers instead of a curling iron. And when I think about my darling friends who are now wearing scarves and wigs and hats in place of their own beautiful hair, I have to kick myself. I have hair! Someday it will be back - and I'll be whining again about how hot it is or how unmanageable it is or how I just wish I could get a short haircut! Silly girl. Just can't please some people... And of course, there will ALWAYS be a bathroom to clean...

3 comments:

  1. You make our lives so much happier, Lis. Your writing is so descriptive and you always hit the "Nail" right on the head. Keep cleaning and smiling and whatever whining you need to do. I love you for sharing! Mumsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bathrooms are my least favorite chore, too...especially the shower. I also have a hard time with dishes. Thanks for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Lis! I just finished a book I think you will like "Saving Sailor" by Renee Riva. (There are 3 in a little series I think) I remembered after reading your blog how I thought there are never any funny parts in good books about the monotonous things we have to do all the time...like b a t h r o o m s. oxo

    ReplyDelete