Saturday, May 19, 2012

Back to Home Sweet Home

Thanks to my Chelsea for posting the last update.  I knew everyone would be panicked and would want to hear at least the bare minimum of news.
To say that the ER visit and ICU stay was horrendous and the worst pain I've ever had to endure would be sugar-coating it.  It was torture.  My poor sick body.  I'm glad that I missed out on some of it, just by being delirious.  That's a blessing when pain is so hard to wrap your head around.  When I'm stronger, I'll have to relate some of the "loopy" moments--I guess I was quite the crazy woman.
I am home, as of yesterday.  I came home with two drains and the PICC line for TPN feedings.  Things are healing, but oh so slowly.  I have not had food or drink since May 1.  What a wonder our bodies are, that they will continue to keep us alive, in spite of not being able to "eat".  I miss it.  I miss being hungry and satisfying that hunger.  The TPN food is fed to me directly through the bloodstream over the course of 16 hours.  I have not been able to manage nausea very well, but over the last few days, it has gotten easier to keep things down.
My family is wonderful.  My five children have been angels of mercy and the best nursing staff ever.  In the hospital, someone was always with me from morning until about 10:30 PM.  The many trips they have taken over the past almost three weeks to the hospital have been hard on them and their families, I know, but they have been my source of joy.  Dean and Janessa are a working team for keeping up the house and the laundry and the meals.  Our ward family has served in so many ways, it will be hard to give the appropriate thanks, but some day I will try.
I still have a road to travel to wellness.  I'm weak, my poor legs and feet are swollen like little balloons, and the drains are still draining.  But I have no more pain (have been off pain meds for a few days now) and I can shuffle pretty well between the bathroom, the bedroom, and the big comfy recliner.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, which was dark and scary just last week.  Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers.  I will survive this...but it will be long journey.

6 comments:

  1. So good--SO good to hear from you. Keep shuffling and taking care of yourself. I'd love to come visit sometime. I want to see you for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! I have not commented before but I work with your wonderful Aaron and you and your family have been in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are home, Lisa! I will keep praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my hero, I love you.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing, darling Lisa!! You are in my thoughts and prayers every day. I would love to come see you as soon as your up for a visit. xoxo, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you're home and so optimistic. We love and miss you and hope the summer will be a healing time for you. Take care!

    ReplyDelete