Monday, July 14, 2014

Soldiering On...

For a while, I've put off writing this post. I know there are friends and family out there who check regularly to see if anything is new or changed in my little corner of the world. And since this has been a blog devoted to my life with cancer, it seemed a shame to ruin my 3-month summer hiatus (and all of you who travel this road with me) with the dullness of days I've got going on right now. You'd think I'd enjoy it more, be more grateful, start each day with a smile, look for the silver lining in this down time. I AM grateful. Very grateful. The alternative is so much worse than my whining complaints. And I'm still hopeful. I have to be VERY hopeful. It's nearly one month until the next scans, and I pray every day that the doldrums I feel are not snaking their way into my cells and turning them into villainous tumors. I pray these feelings are just emotional and not physical. 'Cuz it's real...and it often crushes the good. Before I rant any further, I'm not looking for pity or donations. I don't need a casserole or a phone call or a drop-by visit. I DO need prayers. I DO need someone to read and then say, well, there is the reality of life. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. It's not all sugar cookies and ice cream. It's not all miracles and contentment. It's plain ol' life, and mine is no more perfect or saintly or courageous as yours. We're all soldiers together; it's just that sometimes the enemy is ourselves. I am on the ledge of depression. I've been over the ledge before, so I know it's not serious, as in need-to-take-meds serious. But I am teetering. It's been a hard half year for me. Some of you know details, some don't. I'd rather that you didn't. I've said and written this before, but I'll do it again: Heavenly Father knew I'd have to put all my energy into the way I've had to handle other challenges, so He took away the health battles for now (and hopefully, forever, right?). There are people I love with all my heart who have suffered and who are now suffering; they have needed me, some from afar, and not always in a physical way, but just in a pocket of my heart and soul. There are people I barely know with cancer who are dying a slow, painful death or who have been told they may have to have the Whipple surgery. There are children who have had more surgeries than fingers on their hands, or who have been burned beyond recognition, or who have been killed randomly and thoughtlessly. There are those I love dearly who have required intervention from some downhill spiral to save their lives. There are times when Friday's paycheck is gone, with mere pennies left over, by Friday night. There have been lost jobs and lost income. There have been promises of great summer adventures, only to be dashed by another bill or necessity, so that the only adventure for this week is a trip to the library and a few free books. My girl looks at me with hope in her eyes every morning...and I can only answer with a weak smile and an even weaker hope that maybe tomorrow--MAYBE--we can take a stroll through the grocery store and buy a pint of ice cream. Bless her heart, she accepts it without murmuring. She knows, though I wish she didn't. These days, I'm scrolling faster through Facebook without stopping or reading or watching or listening. Don't get me wrong--I love, LOVE, to see posts about awesome trips to the zoo and the beach and vacations and concerts and reunions and parks and parades. But, selfish me, it makes me sad. I want that, too, not for me but for her. One random day (they've all melted together in the heat), my girl announced she wanted to dye her hair. Purple...or maybe blue. I used to be the bystander who hurtfully judged these adolescent girls (and boys) with their crazy heads of colored hair and thought, what kind of mother would let her child do that? Now I know. She's probably a mother a lot like me, who has seen her beautiful daughter doubt her self worth and question whether her introverted personality makes her totally invisible to the rest of the world. She's probably a mother who would do anything to protect her beloved child from those who incorrectly assume because she is quiet and observant and hard to get to know, she is also a snob who thinks she's better than everyone else. So NOT true. She just wants someone to see her, to understand her, to talk to her and make her laugh, to like her because she's funny and smart and a great listener and a loyal friend (to those who break through her shell) and would someday like to be an anthropologist or a Secret Service agent or an author or a film maker and live in Alaska in a cabin with a huge St. Bernard and a few cats. So, I let her dye her hair, first purple, then blue. And I walk beside her in public and watch for people's reactions. Adults are the worst, especially older ladies with their (own) purple-tinted hair. Children are the best. Little girls see her and turn to their mothers and ask, Mom, can I dye my hair? Or who whisper, Mom, look at her pretty hair! Little boys stare. We laugh about it. And when someone (like the checker at the grocery store or the motorcyle guy in the parking lot or the mom at the park) goes out of their way to tell her they love her hair, I see how she glows from the inside out. She is not invisible. She is beautiful and always will be. And if blue hair makes her happy, it's okay, because someday she'll be happy with less drastic measures. Someone will see her heart and her mind and her beautiful soul, and she'll be happy. July is a hard month. It has been for 11 years now. We celebrate sweet birthdays, but we also relive deaths and regrets and grief. It's a time to be with family, but there are holes in our hearts where those we miss used to be. I have a hard time sleeping. I stay up late and read and write or watch PBS on TV, and just as I think I'm as exhausted as I need to be to sleep, I am back up again with an uncomfortable restlessness. It's not a pain or an ache, but something that makes my brain tell my body to move--stretch, twitch, rock, anything but fall asleep. Hours pass. My sighs wake up my hubby, so I leave our room. It's frustration at its finest. Some nights I even think about making an escape, anything to get away from the weird sensation of being "antsy." It's another reason (or symptom) of the depression, I know. It saps me of any other thoughts or feelings. It's torture. And so, I soldier on. One step at a time, one sleepless night at a time, one adventure to Wal-Mart for a loaf of bread at a time. I'm sure there will soon come a day when I'll reread this and think, good grief, it couldn't have been that bad. Especially when others are living through so much worse. It will pass. Hopefully sooner than later...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I have followed your journey from afar. I've cried as I read about what you've been through and I have marvelled at your strength and faith. Your story has given me courage as I have faced my much smaller battles. May God continue to bless you. I hope for many, many brighter days ahead for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, email me please! I'd love to talk. wxgrammy@msn.com

    ReplyDelete