Friday, July 13, 2018

Best Update

July 12, 2018

REMISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

At last...an update to end all updates, literally.  In the past two-plus years, I've steadily gotten stronger and more "back to normal" than ever before. Happily, after the success of that 2nd round of IPI, I was able to graduate to having scans every six months instead of three. The nerves and doubts always overshadowed a complete sense of well-being, but over the years I've come to know my body, inside and out. No new bumps--though a small lump under the left side of my jaw was diagnosed as scar tissue and NOT cancer--and no other unusual pains or symptoms. I still struggle with my digestion and finally resigned myself to the fact that I just cannot eat some of the foods I used to. Giving up sugar has been my hardest challenge, but I feel so much better when I eat healthier. Don't we all?!! I still take my Creon pills at meals, and probably will for the rest of my life. They save me much discomfort and suffering after eating.

Last December, at my semi-annual scan report, Carolyn hinted that if everything looked good in 2018, I could be officially DONE. No more scans!! It was too wonderful to believe.  Dr. Grossmann was moving on to a new position in Florida (doing more research, which is where his heart was), so it seemed the right time. He had been such a wonderful doctor--I couldn't have asked for better. As Lindsey and I left the appointment with Carolyn, he came walking down the hall to tell us goodbye. He even hugged me! I was so proud of him for his promotion, but he had saved my life...and it's hard to let go of someone like that. Also, the office staff that Linds and I loved so much--Patti, Pam, and the others--were being shuffled around to other clinics and we missed these ladies who knew us so personally and laughed & cried at our joys and sorrows.  When the appointment was set for July 11, it seemed so long to wait--and who knew what could happen in seven months. But as is always the case, time flew by and here it was, the day of reckoning!

After waiting nearly an hour to see Carolyn or the new doctor, Dr. Voorhies, we were finally called back. Lindsey reminded me that over the years, we tried to ask for the earliest appointment of the day since it would be less busy. Ah, the things we have learned in the past 7 years!! As I sat in the hallway to be weighed and my vital signs taken (just FYI: weight 165.9--at the start of this journey, I weighed about 245; today's blood pressure 142/60, which was higher than usual because I was so stressed over our hour wait!--but at my first biopsy in 2011, my blood pressure was so high, Dr. Bradley almost didn't do the procedure), Carolyn came around the corner to wait by Lindsey. The nurse said, "You must be favorites for her to come wait for you to come into the exam room!" Not one to dance around the news, Carolyn took us into the room, closed the door, and said, "Well, your scans look great!" We all clapped and laughed and screamed hooray! I'm pretty sure all the people in the waiting room could hear us.

I had come with high hopes...and my new tee shirt.  I knew the scans would be okay. Carolyn immediately asked me to put it on, so I did...and here we are! She said she wished the back of the shirt said, "It can happen!" She also took a picture of my tee to send Dr. Grossmann because she knew he would be grateful for the news.




As we talked about my new life without scans and cancer worries, Carolyn said that she hoped I would stop in when I was in the area. She also mentioned that she has put me high on her list of "good responders to IPI". She wondered if I would ever be willing to come to symposiums to talk to patients about my experiences. She also asked Lindsey if she'd be willing to share her experience as a caregiver. We both said yes, and I really hope to do that someday. I love Carolyn and I'm so grateful for her years of friendship, compassion, and knowledge. She said that although I was now finished with scheduled care from Huntsman, they would always be my cancer team. As someone with a history of melanoma, if I ever have questions or concerns, she wants me to call her for help. It means the world to me to realize I never have to travel this path alone, whether I'm in remission or not.

Back out in the waiting room, I gave a high-five to Pam and to Patti. They too were thrilled. As we turned to leave, there was a sweet old man standing behind me with a huge grin on his face. "Congratulations on your great news!" he said. "I hope to be there myself someday!" I took his hand and told him that it CAN happen! If it happened with me, it can happen with anyone.

My last trip to Huntsman--as a patient--will be this coming Monday at 2:00 pm, where I will have my  wonderful, trustworthy, life-saving port removed for good. It should be a fairly simple procedure, even though it may take longer than usual because it's been in so long and they might have to "cut around some scar tissue", according to Carolyn. Eek! But I can do it, right?

I've done much harder stuff...and SURVIVED.

TAKE THAT, MY CANCER GOLIATH!! YOU LOSE...and I've WON.

No comments:

Post a Comment