Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chef in the House

July 12, 2011: I am finally cooking again. Okay, I know two or three home-cooked meals in the past two or three days are not that great of an accomplishment for most, but in this time and place for me, it's a major deal.

Even before I was diagnosed, I didn't feel up to par. I was tired. I knew something was wrong, but assumed it was just growing older, menopause, not eating right, no exercise, etc. I had no idea it was something that would change my life and my family and my whole attitude. After the diagnosis, it was one round after another of doctor visits, surgeries, treatments - you know if you've been following along - and the last place I wanted to be was in the kitchen. My poor family. It's a good thing they are such good sports. As long as there was milk, eggs, and lunch meat in the fridge, and cereal, bread, granola bars, and oatmeal in the pantry, they could make a meal. Not especially healthy or appetizing, but satisfying. Their tummies were filled. Of course, we couldn't have survived long without outside help. We had meals brought in from our neighbors and friends, we were invited to dinner by our good son and daughter-in-law, and Mom was ever willing to make a taco run or treat at Panda Express. It was literally life-saving, life-giving service, now that the Vacancy sign was up in the kitchen.

Then, the loss of taste buds tipped us even farther upside down. I was hungry, but I couldn't eat. When I tried to fix a simple meal, I could only handle two or three bites. I'd have to ask my hubby, "Does this taste right to you?" Obviously, it didn't taste at all good to me, and I lost all joy of preparing meals.

Gradually - maddeningly s l o w l y - the taste buds are waking up. I actually made a roast with potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and onions for Sunday dinner. I actually cut up some raw cauliflower and broccoli to dip in Ranch dressing for a snack. I actually baked blueberry muffins for breakfast this morning. I actually make an egg-sausage-hash brown casserole for dinner last night. And though things are still wacky - the Heinz 57 sauce that I love to put on my roast tasted like vinegar and the Ranch was a waste of dipping effort! - I am able to cook and enjoy a small plate of food much easier than before. Though I couldn't really taste the warm muffin this morning - COME ON, SWEET BUDS, & WAKE UP ALREADY! - the crunchy on top, soft in the middle texture was satisfying. I even went back for half of another one.

One of these days, I may even crack open the recipe book and get a full week's menu planned. I'm determined to eat healthier, get Dean's diabetes under control, go for long walks, and have more energy. I'm not the greatest chef - not even close - but I do like to cook for my family and eat meals together. It's one of life's simple pleasures. And I'm still waiting for the day when I can pop a homemade pizza in the oven and say, "Mmmm," over that first mouth-watering bite...

4 comments: