Friday, July 1, 2011

The New Normal

July 1, 2011: May I just begin by saying...Happy 50th birthday, Princess Diana! Wish you were here...

A new month. Funny how July seemed so far away just a few weeks ago. I changed my calendars today and wrote out our month's activities on the dry erase calendar on my fridge. Every week is brimming, not only with good things, but with sad remembrances. July is a fun family month--but also a time to miss my family and the way we used to be. The holidays during this month are only a reminder of what came next. It's the "new normal", but it's still hard.

My other new normals are a little easier to take:

**I can wear TWO earrings again. The right earlobe is still puffy and completely numb, but I can wiggle that post through the hole without it bleeding. A little thing, but it's a relief.

**I'm digging clothes out of my closet that I haven't worn in a long time...and they fit, thanks to my weight loss over the past three months. It feels pretty good. I'm not skinny by a long shot, but it's the FIRST 30 pounds.

**Considering everything, I feel pretty healthy and reassured that I've done all the tests that I should have been doing all along. I'm actually flossing every night! That's never happened before. I'm "up to date" on all those annual exams (and even that "every 8-10 years" one).

I'm tired tonight, but that's normal after a week of late nights and hours of working without a break. I'm cranky, but even that's normal after wishing I could have eaten a thick slice of pizza and a bag of buttered popcorn for dinner instead of string cheese and ramen noodles. I'm stressed after paying the weekly household bills, but am extremely grateful to be able to send off two looming medical bills to my sweet "fund advisors" for payment. It gives me some breathing room, which is a blessing beyond words. So, I embrace this "new normal" and continue to get up every morning with a thankful heart.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to July, Sista! The Best Month of the Year! :)

    I love the muddy pictures on my phone from your Britnee and EmiLee! We believe in you and rejoice in you feeling healthy! We love our family!

    ReplyDelete