Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Normal for a Change

June 28, 2011: It's officially summer and I'm having a hard time settling down to work during the day when I'd rather be doing so many other things! Ness and I stay up late watching TV, sleep in past 9:00 AM, dawdle our way through showers and breakfast, and pretty much "play away the day". It's great...until payday comes...

Friday, I went back to Dr. Nielson for the follow-up to my colonoscopy. I was there all of FIVE minutes! He gave me a copy of about six pictures (yikes!) showing my NORMAL and HEALTHY colon, and even joked that I should post them on my blog. Yeah. Right. The minor biopsies he took during the test came back normal, as well, so I do NOT have irritable bowel syndrome. What a relief. I just need to eat better and get rid of stress. Okay, as soon as you figure out how I do that with limited taste buds and the ever-present awareness of fighting melanoma and healing and surviving day-to-day life, I'll follow it to the letter.

As for my unending (at least, so far) frustration with my taste buds, they are still wacky. I am tasting more things, but I have also got weird tastes going on. There is a constant metallic/saccharin-sweet/tangy (very hard to describe, as you can see) taste in my mouth that drives me crazy. I brush my teeth and even gargle with a mild mouthwash, and it's still there. It affects everything I eat, but especially everything I drink: water, juice, the Carnation Instant Breakfast I drink most mornings, everything. I took a sip of root beer the other day and could only taste CINNAMON! How weird is that? But, on a good note, I ate corn chowder one night for dinner, some cream of broccoli soup another night, some broccoli spears (without butter - butter tastes like oil), and one of Lindsey's homemade French Dip sandwiches last Sunday. Hooray! Something nourishing in my tummy for a change!

It's been three weeks today since my final radiation treatment. Time has flown by! I guess I still won't be able to enjoy a nice 4th of July BBQ, but maybe I'll be able to eat a burger that tastes like a burger or a slice of pizza that tastes like pizza on Pioneer Day (July 24). I hope so! It will be nice to feel normal for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment