Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Heat

June 23, 2011: It's HOT today - and I am NOT complaining. We've had such a weird, wet spring that I'm ready for a little warmth on my skin. Today, I donned my brown straw hat and slathered on some sunscreen for 20 minutes of light yard work - swinging the weed-eater over the tall stuff against the house before Dean mows and taking care of the spent daffodils in my flower bed. In that same bed, I have the most delightful new peony bush - the blossoms are light pink with a spiky cream center! They make me smile. I was tempted to wash the car in the driveway, but decided against it. Maybe earlier in the day next time. My car is dusty and grimy and needs a good scrubbing, inside and out. Could be the top priority project for the weekend.

Last night at our RS presidency meeting, my sweet friend, Candice, prayed that my "taste" would come back. I could have hugged her. This is definitely the trial of my patience right now. My tongue looks like it's healing - the color is slowly coming back and the sores on the right side have all disappeared. But, I am still unable to taste normally and my mouth has seemed very dry the past few days. I eat the bare minimum and feel the (bad) effects of a not-very-balanced diet. My main food choices right now are eggs (blah), oatmeal (blah), string cheese (blah), Carnation Instant Breakfast (blah), plain hot dogs (blah), and V-8 Fusion (yum, but leaves a nasty taste in my mouth after I drink it). Oh, wait, I had a banana/pina colada Slurpee from 7-11 yesterday! It wasn't too bad! Sometimes I fantasize, "oh, maybe that will taste good," but then my brain says, "No! Don't try it! It will be awful!" So, I starve. And I hate it. There, I'm done complaining about that.

I have shorts on today. My legs are the color of an eggshell. I guess I'll never "lay out" to get color again. But, it's okay. I don't have cancer. It's all worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I love your eggshell colored legs! I love your valiant effort to slurp a slurpee and know "this, too, shall pass". How long have we been saying that! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete