Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Vacations

I know God gives us strength when we need it the most.  I started to feel semi-"normal" about the middle of July--able to eat a little more, do dishes and laundry (yipee...), move better, etc.  It was just in time because Chelsea and her family decided to come celebrate Pioneer Day (July 24 here in Utah) with us and I couldn't have done it without that extra boost of energy power!  First, Chels and I were able to go to our Salt Lake showing of the Broadway cast in "Wicked" at the beautiful, historic Capitol Theater.  I've been keeping mum about these tickets since about February or March because I could only afford two and I knew there would be moans and groans from those left at home.  When Chels called and said they were coming for the big parade and fireworks held on Friday, I asked her if she could come early and go to the play Thursday night.  What a thrill!  It was an amazing show!  The leads were wonderful and so talented and gave me goosebumps.  I loved the music, the set, the costumes, the humor, the whole thing!  It was a treat.  Friday was stressful, just like always, because we have to be at certain places at certain times and the traffic is horrendous and it's hot and everyone is grumpy (especially me) and then, of course, I'm tired-er than usual and have more pain than usual...blah, blah, blah.  I'm sure my family is as sick of me being sick as I am.  But, all in all, we enjoyed the parade, especially the entry called, "The 2000 Stripling Warriors", from the Book of Mormon account of the 2000 young men who fought against their enemies and "did not doubt" the truths their mothers had taught them.  It was very emotional to see our day & age's 2000 stripling warriors, dressed in their tunics and armed with their own personalized, wooden staffs, ready to battle against evil.  I'll admit I got teary.  The trek up the hill to see the fireworks was hard and I got winded and sore, but the fireworks themselves were fantastic, as usual.  Just love our vantage point with the "bombs bursting in air" right above our heads.  Ooooh, ahhhh.... Saturday night, we went to A & L's to watch their neighborhood bike parade.  Some of the neighbors played patriotic music from their car stereos, as the kids passed by once or twice (or more) on their decorated bikes, scooters, wagons, rollerblades, etc.  It was wonderful and the kids were a hit.  Our Ally & Avery threw candy suckers like in the real parade, and that was a bonus, especially to little Knox, who kept picking them up off the grass and chomping them.  After the parade, Linds & Aar made homemade ice cream, which was a real treat.  Yum, raspberry hit the spot.  Monday morning, we were off with the Stephensons for St. George to spend a few days before the Scentsy convention in Las Vegas.  My energy level was still good and I was so relieved.  There is always pain at night, but I slept pretty good and was able to keep it under control with ibuprofen.  We enjoyed our time with Mom and Chels & family, and then we were off to the lights of Vegas.  Convention had its ups & downs.  Lines were long that first day and we were all exhausted, but what a rush to be with 11,000 Scentsy consultants!  I had a few melt-downs (mostly by being frustrated with my family), but all in all, it was a wonderful few days of doing completely different things than we do in our everyday life...going to shows, walking Fremont Street, eating way too much in buffets, people-watching.  Convention was motivating and a little intimidating, too.  I wish I could be better at this job and not have to worry about anything financial.  We got lots of free product and heard motivational speakers whose words are still rumbling around in my head.  Hope I can act on them.  Came home tired, but happy.  Not ready for real life, but today is August 1 and I've made some goals to get back into my regular routine.  I guess if we were always on vacation, we wouldn't appreciate these times when we just have to deal with slow computers, too many bills, cleaning out the fridge, and getting a haircut.  I'm so grateful that I can finally say, "I guess I'm going to make it after all!"  Whew.
(Picture:  my silly girls, Chelsea and Janessa)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you are feeling better. You are getting back to your normal self and doing way fun things. You are amazing and inspiring. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderfully normal post! So happy for you to be able to do so many normal and fun things. Hope you keep steadily improving in all ways.

    ReplyDelete