Thursday, July 18, 2013

I Consent

The biopsy went well this morning. They took the core samples from the "walnut" in my back. My "kiwi" has suddenly started hurting once in awhile - it couldn't be that the four-footed creature in our home surprises me sometimes when I'm lying down and puts his pointy little toes right on the tumor! OY! Sends me through the roof! Anyway, I was glad they didn't have to add more pain to that spot just now. After being numbed, I didn't feel a thing during the biopsy...just heard the "click" of the scalpel as it cut off pieces of tissue. Darren was there with the nurse and dermatologist to make sure they got enough tissue to satisfy the study board. Personally, I think they took out oodles. In fact, wish they could take the whole thing out right now - but then there's always the risk of leaving some cancer cell behind that might start a party with all his aunts, uncles, & cousins...

I also signed all the consent forms to get into the study, so we're good to go. Next step is to wait for the evaluation on the tissue samples, which typically takes about 10 days. From there, Darren will call and have me come back in for the screening process with Dr. G. Not sure of all that involves, but there will be blood drawn to make sure I'm still a good candidate. After that comes the randomization, which is a quick phone call to the study center, where they immediately tell Darren what arm of the study I'm assigned. That's where our prayers will be concentrated. And within a week after that, I'll be starting treatment, whatever it may be. 

My head is whirring, but I'm on the path. God grant me patience to wait and accept His will in all things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment