Saturday, April 2, 2011

Words of Solace

April 2, 2011: Didn't stray too far from the couch today. Listened to the first two sessions of General Conference. I loved Elder Kent Richards' talk on the lessons of pain. He is a retired surgeon, and he said that in his professional life, he was often the cause of pain as he tried to heal people. But all in all, pain teaches us patience, faith, fortitude, and educates us on what we came here to earth to lean. I jotted down some notes:


"Christ's most significant work is ongoing to bless us daily, to heal us by His power. He chose to be afflicted with pain and suffering to better understand our needs. He chose to learn by His own personal experience. He heals all who come to Him, each blessing suited to our own needs. All pain can be soothed, all worry and fear swallowed up in His encircling arms. All of us have angels surrounding us in our pain."


I also loved the story Sister Jean Stevens told of Liam, a little boy diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer. He had to undergo numerous radiation treatments, which required him to stay perfectly still for long periods of time. He didn't want to be sedated because the medication made him feel funny, so he asked if his daddy could talk to him during the treatment. Hearing his father's voice calmed him down and gave him the strength to lie still. Just as Liam's father spoke to him and soothed his fears, so does Heavenly Father speak to us in our pain and suffering. I hope I can be as brave and strong as Liam when it comes my turn to lie still and listen to my Father's voice.


I'm drawn to the messages of hope and encouragement and winning the battles of our lives - I get teary and emotional. I suppose it's because they hit so close to home. I've been praying for comfort and I know my prayers are being answered daily. I'm eternally grateful for family and love and miracles and the healing blessings that are coming to those I love in their times of need, too. We're all in this together.

2 comments:

  1. Mom I love you! I am thinking of you always. I too loved the talk by Elder Richards. Today I'm excited and anxious to hear Conference again and I know prayers will be answered. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you during conference. Several talks seemed to speak of you. Your positive attitude and deep humility are a great example to me.

    ReplyDelete