Saturday, February 2, 2013

All Things Considered...

I had my fourth and final infusion last Wednesday. In spite of a snowy drive that took twice the time to get to Huntsman, it was a great day for me. Blood work and IV were accomplished on the first poke - a miracle - and the infusion itself seemed to speed by, time wise. I had my iPad to keep me occupied and my cute Linds to laugh and share thoughts with and we even got to FaceTime Chelsea & Mumsy in St. George...

...which leads to the next news. Mom had to have emergency surgery late Monday night for severe diverticulitis. She had suffered with terrible abdominal pain for several days (maybe weeks?) and finally went to the ER, dehydrated and weak. I am so sad for her...life has not been good for a very long time. And then to have the ER visit & surgery happen on Dad's birthday, well, who wouldn't be depressed? I just keep praying that she'll heal quickly and get some energy back so she can start moving & grooving again. I love her so much.

The great staff at the Infusion Center came in to sing a "graduation" song to me when my IV was finished and also presented me with a certificate & darling fleece blanket, donated by a Young Women's group from South Weber. I wish my smile could have shown how really happy that all made me. I feel very blessed right now.

My visit with Dr. Grossmann before the infusion was very hopeful, as usual. I told him I could still feel the tumor in my groin - smaller, yes, but still there - and was that a worry? He said no, the IPI's job is to teach and re-teach my immune cells to recognize the melanoma and that learning process will not end with the end of the infusions. If it is successful, it will continue to teach and remind those cells for YEARS to come! He said that as long as my 3-month scans show shrinkage in the tumors, the IPI is successfully doing its job. We want shrinkage and destruction to the tumors, and that may or may not take place overnight. Of course, worst case scenario, if there is not shrinkage, there is always a Plan B , C, and D with Dr. G. He said I would probably qualify for the new injectable drug that is put right into the tumor under the skin. I'm praying for the shrinkage miracle - and the final destruction of the nasty cells - but I always leave Dr. G feeling like a long-term survivor. I did ask him one question: does eating chocolate every day thwart the destruction of those cancer cells? He laughed and said, not at all - he does it every day, too! Nurse Jan said, it's medicinal! Gotta love it!

So, we keep going and we keep praying. Scans are in two weeks on February 11 with results on February 13. All things considered, life is wonderful...



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Graduate! Here's hoping and praying that the degree allows you the freedom you desire.

    ReplyDelete