Friday, March 8, 2013

Port and Iron

Last Tuesday night, I was surprised to get a message on my phone from Nurse Karen that Dr. Grossmann was arranging for me to have a port implanted through Same Day Surgery and that Dr. Scaife (yes, the same surgeon who did my notorious/wonderful Whipple) would be performing the surgery.  I was surprised because we hadn't really talked about it in all the appointments the past couple of weeks, but obviously Dr. G (and everyone else in Clinic 2D) was well aware of my poor, struggling veins.  We HAD talked about the fact that my blood was very low in iron and that I would have to have some infusions, so I'm sure this is what prompted Dr. G to place the order now, before those infusions began.  It was just another jolt to my already shaky world, I guess.  It has taken some time and explanation and validation from more than one cancer patient/survivor that having a port is a good thing, especially when someone like me is getting more useless pokes than useful ones.  I'm getting what is called a Power Port, which can be used for lab work, infusions, AND for scans.  Yes, a good thing.

So, today, Friday, I've talked to four different people from both Huntsman and the University of Utah Medical Center, getting this surgery set up and all the info processed.  Seems it will be a busy operating day, as there is "no room at the inn" at Huntsman Monday, so my surgery will be at the U.  Dr. Scaife will still be the surgeon, though, so that's good.  We have to be there Monday morning at 10 and the half-hour to an hour surgery is scheduled for 11:15, give or take.  I'll be home early afternoon and all will be well.  Dean was only too happy to take a day off (he has complained mightily that he's sick and tired of 10-hr shift work, so I don't blame him for wanting this, even if it means hanging out in the hospital with me for a few hours!).

It will take a week (or less) to heal and then I'll be starting the iron infusions on March 19.  Karen explained that I'll get them in the beautiful Infusion Center, they'll last about an hour, and I'll have five treatments over the span of two weeks--so, every other day, basically.  I got the schedule set up and they're all early in the mornings, first thing.  It will motivate me to get up with Janessa, get dressed as she gets ready for school, drop her off and then head up the hill to Huntsman.  I think it will work out great and I'm especially excited to see how these infusions will make a difference to my anemic blood.  I'm expecting miracles, of course...I want to be full of energy and zip after we're all done!

Did you know that symptoms of anemia are "weakness, fatigue, and IRRITABILITY"?  Ha!  Yep, you could ask Dean and he'd tell you all about it.  I've been pretty grumpy with him lately.  I'm going to blame it all on the lack of iron!  Sorry, honey, I hope to be a new woman when these infusions are done.  You're wonderful...I really do love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment