Thursday, March 14, 2013

(Sort of) Bionic

Monday, Dean and I arrived at the University of Utah Hospital for my port placement close to 10 AM.  Check-in was easy and we were in the pre-op room by 10:30, me on the bed in the lovely hospital gown (and nothing else) and Dean mostly relaxing in the nearby recliner.  The nurse comes in to give us the plan, which first involved a couple of blood tests that Dr. Grossmann had ordered.  She admitted she had never heard of these tests before and said that one was actually a urine test.  I thought that sounded kind of strange, but you know me--do what the doc orders, no matter what.  Since I was fasting and hadn't had water for a couple of hours, I couldn't get a good sample.  That upset me a bit, but later found out it wasn't necessary--the tests were both for blood.  Good grief, let's get it together, people!  Happily, the girl from the lab got blood on the first poke and Dean and I joked, "And why am I getting a port put in?"  I know, I know.  It all depends on the day and the tech whether I get poked once or a dozen times.  A nurse came in to take my vital signs and asked if I always have low blood pressure.  I told him I was on medication for high blood pressure and he said, "Well, it's working really well."  Then, we started to wait...and wait...and wait.  The surgery was scheduled for 11:15, but that came and went.  The front desk had given Dean a little ID card with my case number on it which allowed him to go to a computerized board that was tracking my progress.  My number was supposed to move along as I moved from pre-op to surgery to post-op, etc.  He kept wandering out to check on the board and though it was moving me closer to the surgery window, it was slow going.  A nurse came in and told us that there were delays (really?) and it would be another two hours...that was about 2:00 PM.  I was antsy.  I tried to lie down in the bed and close my eyes, but it seemed I'd just get sort of comfy when my tailbone would start to ache, so I'd have to sit up.  Then, I'd sit and play or read on my iPad, but soon my back would hurt.  I really wanted to go on a long walk, but I think they'd discourage that type of thing, especially for someone in a hospital gown and nothing else.  I took out my contact lenses and stored them in their case. We turned on the TV and watched some mindless shows for a while, but that got old, too.  Finally, Dr. Scaife's nurse came in and talked to me about some things.  She was the second one that day to ask me, "You've lost a bunch of weight, haven't you?"  She questioned my eating and how the Whipple surgery was still affecting me.  I told her the nutritionist had recommended I get a prescription for a pancreatic enzyme that would help what was left of my pancreas to absorb food better and she immediately said she'd write that prescription for me.  Hooray.  One bright spot to the wasted hours of waiting.  She again apologized for the delays and said the anesthesiologist would be in soon to put in my IV.  Soon, two of the operating room nurses walked in and I very loudly said, "Whew!  Finally!"  I think they got the message that I was getting testy.  The anesthesiologist came and put the IV in on the first try.  I was impressed again!  These people are good!  And then, here was Dr. Scaife herself to say it would only be another half hour or so and to explain how the port was going to work.  She said she would place it on the left side, since I was right-handed and it would be easier to care for that way, and that the tubing would be going UP to my jugular vein.  For some reason, I thought it would be going to a vein above my heart.  This sounded scarier!  She also explained that while it was usually easy to access the port for IVs and infusions, etc.--fluid going into the bloodstream--that sometimes tiny clots would form at the end of the tubing, making it more difficult for blood tests--fluid coming out of the port.  She said that if the techs drawing my blood ever said that they couldn't access the port for that reason, they should call her office and talk to her or her nurse, and they would explain that it needed to be flushed to clear any clots, etc.  Made sense, but I thought it was going to be so routine.  I guess every good thing has its drawbacks in some way.  And of course, this only happens to about 10% of patients with ports...
Finally...finally...a little after 3:30 PM, the nurse comes to take me to the operating room.  I have a new warm blanket to put over me and I give Dean a hug and a kiss.  I remember going into the operating room, which is always like a freezer, and lying back on the bed.  Someone handed an oxygen mask to the nurse standing beside me and said, "Here, hold this, please."  He held it over my nose and mouth and I felt the cool, clean oxygen.  Then, the other person said, "Okay, breathe deep, I'm going to start your IV."  I take a few deep breaths...and I'm out.  (By the way, Dr. G and Karen had told me I would be "sort of" awake, not all the way out, but Dr. Scaife told me I would be under general anesthetic and that I might have a sore throat after from the breathing tube.  Wonder why the change?)
I don't really remember waking up, just that suddenly I was awake and someone went to get Dean.  The nurses checked a few things, I signed a few more forms, and then they told me I could get dressed.  I'm woozy, but feeling okay.  I tried to put in my contacts, but missed on the right eye.  Dean saw it in the sink, so I tried again and thought I had it in.  Turned out later that I must have missed again, because it's not there when I get home.  No wonder I was woozy!  I was looking out one good eye!  We went to our car and I'm incredibly tired and hungry.  It says 5:30 PM on the car clock.  Another long day at the hospital.
After "breakfast" for dinner at Denny's (oh, the pancakes tasted so good!), we got home and I fell fast asleep on the couch.  I'm not in any pain, just very tired.  I did take two Tylenol when I woke up and got ready for bed, but mostly for what I thought might come, not for how I felt at the time.  I slept all night, waking up with Dean at 4:30 AM when he got up to go to work.
Tuesday, I was sore.  Couldn't lift my left arm without pain.  My chest hurt.  I had a dressing on the port site, but the port itself was poking out under my skin.  I had two or three stitches under my collarbone where the tubing was put it (I guess).  I slept almost all day in the recliner with my sweet Einstein on my lap or at my feet.  Unfortunately, that dang tailbone was bothering me again, so I'd sit for a few minutes before I'd have to close my eyes again.  I tried to watch a movie, but kept drifting in and out of sleep.  I had a sponge bath before Dean came home from work and then we ventured out to Janessa's choir concert.  I felt pretty weak and vulnerable, like everyone could see the big bumpy port through my shirt and the section of tubing up to my neck.  I cried during Janessa's musical numbers.  How I love her!  She makes me so proud.  She is adorable and sweet, and I loved when she came running to hug me after the concert was over.  I was so glad I had a bit of energy to go, but I'll admit it wore me out again.
Wednesday was MUCH better, though I was still pretty tired.  The pain was better, I could move more, and I could actually take off the port dressing and stand under the hot water in the shower.  I made homemade chili and bread sticks for dinner and they tasted so good.  I went to bed early.  I was getting my strength back.
Today I have felt even better.  I got dressed before noon (!), I cleaned out my pantry, I did some laundry, and I even worked for a couple of hours.  I sat in the sun, reading my latest book while I waited for Janessa after school, and it felt heavenly.  It was also my first day on the pancreatic enzyme meds.  I have to take three capsules immediately after each meal and one snack, so four times a day.  I did pretty well until right before dinner and then, my stomach started hurting.  It lasted about an hour, but I haven't had diarrhea today.  That's a bonus.  We'll see how it goes.  Maybe I can put a little meat on these bones (especially the tail one!).
If every day gets better, I'll be in good shape by the time I have my first iron infusion next Tuesday.  I keep praying and the Lord keeps blessing me.  I know He is on my right hand and my left.  Even with this weird stuff in my body, poking out and making me feel a bit self-conscious, I still feel stronger because of it and I know it will be a blessing all around.  And Spring is coming!  The earth is renewing itself and I plan to renew right along with it.  I thank Him for sunshine and warm showers and food that tastes good and builds up my blood and for all He has given me.  What a journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment