Monday, March 4, 2013

Teen Support

Last week was another wild journey at Huntsman, but I want to wait until tomorrow to post more about that.  It will be a L O N G post, so be prepared.  So much happened that has never happened before, I'm still processing it.

Instead, today, I wanted to post about a wonderful experience my Janessa had at school last week.  She is a sophomore at Bountiful High, just barely 16 years old, yet she is learning life lessons that many teens have no clue even exist.  So, when she told me about this experience, I felt both joy and pain.  You'll see...

Late one night last week, a text went out to the student body that the mother of one of their fellow classmates had passed away.  To show support and solidarity, everyone was invited to "dress up" the following day--girls in dresses, boys in suits & ties.  Janessa didn't recognize the name of the boy and felt like she didn't have the time to figure out something dressy to wear, so she decided not to join in, a decision I think she regretted from the moment I dropped her off at the front steps of the school and she saw one of her best friends in a skirt.  She hadn't told me about the text, so I had no idea what was up until she came out of school at the end of the day, glowing with the Spirit and excited to tell me about what had happened.

As it turned out, this grieving boy attended only one class that day after his mother died, and that class was Seminary.  It was no coincidence that Janessa was also in his class--she just hadn't known his name.  The Seminary teacher planned ahead of time to abandon his regular class routine and use the hour to allow the kids to bear their witness and testimony of Christ and life after death and the beautiful plan our Heavenly Father has for each and every one of us.  Janessa said it was amazing and one of the best things she has ever experienced.  The Spirit was strong and touched each person there.  She said she felt a great support for her friend and that he was comforted by that support.

At that point, I casually asked, "How did his mother die?", and of course, Janessa meekly answered, "I think it was cancer."  Of course it was.  Cruel, wicked, hateful cancer.  So, yes, I felt both joy and pain.

That wasn't the end of the story.  The school's basketball team had advanced to the championship finals and out went another text that everyone attending the game wear pink in honor of this sweet family.  The team lost the game...but comments were made by announcers and school officials that the solidarity and support shown by the student body and their families, all wearing pink, meant more than any ballgame ever could.  It sent a message, a clear and wonderful message of love and hope, all initiated by some very sensitive and caring teens.  I'm so grateful my girl associates with peers like that every day.  It brings me much comfort, too.

1 comment:

  1. I love Teen Unity, it warms my heart for the future. I think Baby J's classmate's mother was a friend of mine, Cherie Cable St. John? Her family lived on Davis Bvld. ( went to school with her & her sister's ) She battled breast cancer (4 yrs) I hate cancer...
    You my dear sister, are my hero. Waiting for the news.....HUGS!

    ReplyDelete