Thursday, May 16, 2013

Stretching

Yesterday, I received my fitness "prescription" from theWellness Center and got to meet with Kim, another wonderful physical therapist.  I was a little apprehensive because I want to think I'm stronger and more able to do things than I really am.  I know this is all tailored just for me, but what if it's too hard from the get-go and I get too discouraged?  Kim put me at ease right away.  We were going to move slowly for the first few visits and get my muscles "fired up" again, reminding them what they're supposed to be doing.  I liked that.  I was also a little afraid of the treadmill, just because it was scary that I got so winded and frantic the last time I was there.  No worries again.  Kim let me pick what machine I wanted to warm up on, and I chose the bike-like machine where you pedal and move your arms opposite your legs.  It felt good to be moving and not too strenuous.  Just right.
We started out with stretches...and by the time my hour session was over, we had just barely finished the list of exercises for stretching!  We both laughed (I was thinking, "Really?  You mean there is more?"), but again, Kim assured me that as I learn the routine, the stretching time will go faster and I'll feel more confident moving on to the actual exercises. 
They are all so kind.  Last session and this session, it was one-on-one with me and the therapist and no one else.  That attention can't help but make you feel important and and worth their time and expertise.  I expect from here on out, there will be other patients on the machines with me, but that's okay, too.  We're all working for the same results--to be stronger and better able to handle whatever this demon cancer throws at us.  It's a good feeling to be doing something, even if it seems as if I'm hardly moving at all.  For instance, I had to do some leg lifts on a big padded table and I could barely get my right leg off the surface.  But Kim encouraged me, saying, "No, I see it moving!  You're doing great!"  Ha!  Someday soon I hope to be able to actually feel it moving as well.
I go again tomorrow and then twice a week through the rest of May (we'll work on scheduling June and July soon).  I did get a little shaky after, but I had my carton of protein drink on ice in the car and after I drank that, I felt better.  It's just new stuff and my body has become comfortable being sedentary, but now that the weather is behaving better, I want to get out and walk without wobbling.  Funny how our goals change!  Once upon a time, I could walk three miles in an hour--now I'd be lucky to do a third of that without collapsing. 
It was Mother's Day last Sunday.  I am so grateful for my own sweet mama, who was able to come home from the hospital Monday after having her colostomy reversal surgery.  I love her and her "hopefulness".  I love my precious children:  Aaron and Lindsey, Chelsea and Robby, and Janessa. They are very good people and I'm a proud mom.  And of course, my six (soon to be seven!) wonderful grandchildren are the light of my life.  They make me want to get up in the mornings.  Life goes on, some days are better than others, but the bottom line is that I'm living on love and prayers and hope.  It's a good life...



No comments:

Post a Comment