Saturday, January 4, 2014

Something Right

When the phone rang the other day and Caller ID said, "University of Utah," I answered it and held my breath. It was Dr. Shami, at last! (Isn't it great that some of these doctors still make their own follow-up calls? I love it.)  He apologized for taking so long in getting back to me with the results of the bone marrow biopsy & explained that they had tried to run EVERY test to rule out what could be causing the low blood counts. Ultimately, they found NO melanoma or leukemia or Myelodysplastia in my blood marrow! The chromosome testing also came back normal. Normal! It gave me goosebumps! Dr. Shami did say that there was not a lot of tissue in the biopsy to test for someone my age, but he attributes that to my recent chemo & radiation. He also admitted that he has no explanation for the low blood counts, other than that those same treatments have depleted the counts substantially, and that, hopefully, they can be built up again. He said to continue my follow-up visits with Dr. Grossmann, but that there wasn't anything going on with me where his services would be required. I said this was good news, and he said, "Yes, it is, it's very good news." I am so relieved.
Still waiting to hear about my stomach bloat, but the worry-voice in my head isn't sounding a blaring alarm right now, so I can be patient. For now...
Here are some pics from the holidays. They make me smile! Avery decorating a gingerbread man on Grammy day, Jane & Ally in front of one of the decorated shop windows at the Grand America, and lunch at Spagetti Factory with Knox & Silly Olive!
U

2 comments:

  1. You don't know me but I read you blog a lot. This time when I read I was so surprised to see Dr Shami in it. I am go to clinic 2c every month and see Dr Shami I had APML I got it in November of 2012, spent 2 months on the 4th floor having my first round of chemo then got to do the other 3 at home and yes the GERMS! spent last winter in my house did not go anywhere not even to my moms house for 7 months my kids went to school came home and changed and washed down so I would not get any germs.
    I am now cancer free (nock on wood) for 8 months. Keep up the fight your doing great. Maybe I will see you one of these days as your passing 2c.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, the doors with all of the right answers will continue to keep opening for you. By the way, you are one great looking grandma!
    Robin :)

    ReplyDelete