Monday, October 10, 2011

Kneading out the kinks

Monday, October 10, 2011: It's Monday morning and I've been going full-steam-ahead for hours now. Usually, I go sans makeup and smooth hair to take Ness to school, but when I need to be "in town" for a while, it requires the whole sha-bang of getting ready before we can head out the door. I dropped her off at the usual time and place (but, since we should be getting our car back sometime today, it may be the last morning for a "truck" drive!) and then swung around the back streets to hit the grocery store and use the two coupons that expire tomorrow--one was for bottled water at $2.99/24-ct. case, and the other was for three cans of Chunky Campbell's Soup for $0.99 each. I love soup in the fall/winter, and this was a good deal. Of course, I couldn't pass up the GIGANTIC marshmallows (have you seen them?!!) for $1.00 a bag (I think we'll have indoor S'Mores for FHE tonight) and the maple bar donut for breakfast, but still felt like the stop was worth my while. As I headed to the post office and the bank, I realized it was Columbus Day and neither one would be open! Drat! Those little chores will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

I pulled into the IHC parking lot, a half hour before my physical therapy appointment. I had a library book to pass the time, but decided to get my blood tested (the INR--whatever that stands for--to check how thin/thick my blood is while I'm taking the Coumadin). I have a "standing order", which makes me feel a little bit like an invalid or someone chronically sick. Hmm, I guess cancer could fit into that last category. But, still, I don't like it and can't wait until this little phase is over. I didn't have to wait long in the lobby. A quick finger poke and drop of blood is all it takes. The monitor blinked back, "3.1", while the phlebotomist said, "Oh, it's a little high." I assured her that it has gone "down" since last Monday, when it was "3.6". I'm hoping my dosage will be changed again to 2.5mg EVERY day...or maybe, "you can stop taking it altogether" would be nice, too. We'll see what the doc says in the next day or two.

Then, I walked over to the PT building and checked in. I have to fill out a "pain" chart every time I go. Today, I'm feeling mild pain in my left shoulder and neck, mostly because it's morning and I've slept on that left side. The receptionist asks if I'm going to pay my co-pay today, and I tell her I need to check with my insurance company. Surely, I should be done with co-pays if I've met my out-of-pocket expenses and deductibles for the year? I want to be done. It could mean the difference between continuing to go for PT or not...

I like Dr. Dayton. He's kind of a nerdy guy, but nice. First thing, he wraps a warm (sigh) towel around my neck and lets me lie on the table for about five minutes. It feels heavenly. Then, he takes the wrap and pillow away and holds my heavy head in his hands and starts to massage. He turns my neck, he kneads the knots in my scars, he stretches the tight muscles until they feel better. I do some exercises, too, with both a PVC-pipe bar and a stretchy cord. Even those feel good. Then, he measures my range of motion and compares it to last week. Granted, I haven't been faithful about the home exercises--I probably only did them halfway--but the measurements are still better this week. I've gone from a 100 (no idea how or what that number is) in the motion of raising my left arm above my head to a 136. That sounds good to me! Both measurements of turning my head left and right have also improved, so I'd say progress is being made and recorded. I leave, feeling that I've spent a good hour away from home.

I'm a little concerned about my jaw. It clicks and pops a lot, and yesterday, as I tried to sing in church, my jaw was terribly tight. It not only hurts, but it doesn't make for a very pleasing sound. I'll ask Dr. Dayton about it on Thursday. Maybe he can knead those kinks away, too...

1 comment:

  1. Always grateful for any progress made. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete