Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Necks...and Cars

Wednesday, October 12, 2011: I've realized lately that I notice and study necks. While I'm watching TV or talking to people, I look at their necks. I guess it's because the neck I see most and have a personal connection with is slightly imperfect...to say the least. I see those girls with their gorgeous "swan" necks--long and slender--and I wonder if they've ever even thought about that thing between their ears and their shoulders. They may worry about a few creases and wrinkles or that double chin, but if they're like I used to be, they never give it a second thought. It's just there. I look at pictures of myself (pre-March 2011) and see my smooth white neck (and the double chin) and get a little sad. Right now, I fit in quite nicely with the whole Halloween decor, even without the staples. I hide my neck a lot, whether with my (slowly growing) hair or the collars on my shirts or my collection of pretty scarves. I look at earrings now and think, the smaller, the better, just to keep attention away from my neck. But, honestly, don't worry--I know that someday "the spirit and the body shall be reunited again in its perfect form; both limb and joint shall be restored to its proper frame..." (Alma 11:43) I think about my sweet mother-in-law, Janice, who suffered with crippling arthritis in her hands and feet, and how she must feel now, in heaven, where she can walk without pain and her fingers are straight and long and beautiful. Someday, I will have a long, slender neck without scars or stiffness and it will be in its "perfect form." I know this is true. I can live with the scars. "There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with." (Harry Crews) Yep, all done.

Good news - my "Goldie" car is back! Yesterday, Dean and I went to the body shop and picked her up. She has a shiny new bumper and tail light AND a new battery which makes the old ignition problems obsolete. She starts up like a champ now! I've been taking this good, reliable car for granted, too, and realized yesterday that I really am blessed. No more black truck. Dean was sad to give it back, but it served its purpose for two (gulp!) weeks and now we're back to our normal transportation. I'm so glad! We can put that whole mishap behind us at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment