Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Year Questions & Goals

Tuesday, January 17, 2012: I've resisted setting any new year's resolutions or goals thus far, simply because I haven't had the time or the desire. I'm just glad to be ALIVE!! But, lately, as I've sort of settled into a more normal routine (that doesn't include trips to the doctor or hospital more than a couple of times a month), I've found that I need to have more organization and self-control. I've started a new filing system that makes me happy from a visual perspective - it looks so cute! - but so far, the actual files that need to go into the filing system are a bit overwhelming. All year, I've cleared off my office desk and stuffed two boxes (at my feet) with receipts and statements and anything else that I didn't want to deal with at the time. Well, NOW is the time to get those bits & pieces of paper into their proper place. The other day, I sat down to unwind and watch a little television...and I couldn't sit still, thinking of what needs to be done in my office. I don't want anyone else to do it - they'd be lost in the piles. I know all it will take is TIME...and so, instead of sitting idly watching TV, I gathered up a bunch of those loose pages and slipped them into their new homes. It felt great, but admittedly, there are oodles left to go. I know it will be heavenly when they're all in their places, but for now, it's a bit of H-E-double toothpicks! Resolution No. 1 - get my office and paperwork organized.

The next resolution is one I make almost every year, as do millions of others - to be more active, physically, and lose weight. This past year, with a "diet" of surgeries, trauma, radiation (and no taste buds), etc., I lost about 40 lbs., which is wonderful NOW (not so fun at the time of the "diet")! But since Christmas, I noticed a small weight gain, which I attribute to the yummy chocolates and goodies lurking around my house. I know I need to eat more healthy food choices. But I also realized that I need to get more active, get moving more, before these creaky knees and joints and this temperamental back get older and more cranky. A few years ago, I started a walking program that helped me lose over 75 lbs. I loved the way I felt when I was doing that! I want to feel that way again. I want to give my "cancer fighting army" as much advantage as I can, and I know being healthy is a big key. So, for about four days now, I've been "walking" with my 3-mile Leslie Sansone DVD. I'm starting out slow - doing the 1-mile workout for now - but, I'll start adding more time (and miles) in a few days. I know I can do it - this should be a cinch after what I've done this past year. Resolution No. 2 - be healthy and active enough to go on a hike in Southern Utah this year with my family! Oh boy. I've said it out loud. Now, I'm committed.

I've also been thinking lately about adding pictures to this blog. I purposely have not added pictures before for a lot of reasons - I wanted this blog to "tell" my journey in words. I wanted it to be simple. I haven't taken a lot of pictures through the journey because I felt deformed and wounded and scarred. I didn't want to scare anyone. But looking back on the few pictures I do have, I wondered if I should share them. Does anyone have any feelings, one way or the other, about this? Should I keep this blog the way it is or would you want to see some pictures along the way? It's something to consider. I'm thinking too...

No comments:

Post a Comment