Thursday, February 2, 2012

Denied

Thursday, February 2, 2012: I finally called the Huntsman Cancer Center yesterday to ask about the PET scan that Dr. Grossmann wanted me to have, "just to be sure" the initial hot spots seen six weeks ago are really nothing. Dr. G's office transferred me over to the scan scheduling desk, where I was told that my insurance had denied the request. Really?? I'll admit that I am confused and bummed and angry and feeling like the spoilt child that was pampered for almost a year and then suddenly tossed aside by the new "powers that be." In the 11 months since my diagnosis, with our previous insurance company, I was never denied a procedure or had problems with insurance payments. I don't know the new insurance's reasoning (I should have asked), but was told that Dr. G should have called me to talk about "alternatives." I'm still waiting for that call. One month with the new insurance company, and already, I'm frustrated and discouraged. The "roll-over" policy that Dean's employer promised with this switch is a farce; besides this "denial", I've also learned that none of my team of doctors is on their "preferred program", except for Dr. Grossmann. Yeah, I'm miffed, to say the least.


So, this morning, I decided to feel a little sorry for myself. I didn't do my exercise walk, I stopped for a breakfast burrito on my way home from taking Ness to school, and I'm still not dressed (at 10:20). I'd like to go curl up in my bed for a few hours. It's silly, I know, but I feel the insurance company rejected ME and not just the procedure. Surely they realize that we're not playing games here. Surely they know the consequences if "hot spots" are left unchecked. Surely...

If I can rise above all of this, it will be because of priceless blessings in my life, like the darling voice on the other end of the phone this morning, saying, "Grammy, it's a good day today. Do you know why? It's Groundhog Day and he saw his shadow!" I love you, Lachlan. You make my heart sing.


(Pictures right to left): Our little family, taken in January 2002, 10 years ago. Why did I insist we all wear white? Look what 10 years has done for all of us... and my favorite picture of Lachlan & Grammy, taken in 2008)

1 comment:

  1. Ahh..that bubby and his grammy! love you both so much. Mom, I'm so glad your insurance finally called and approved your scan. that's great news!!!! I'm sorry you have to deal with all of THAT on top of other things too. I love you SOOOO much!

    ReplyDelete