Monday, November 14, 2011

Clouds & Sunshine

Monday, November 14, 2011: So grateful for the time I can spend with my family. But because there were five extra people in my house for the past few days, I did not get any computer time. Not complaining...just explaining.

Friday, I was extremely grateful for the significance of the date: 11/11/2011. It was an historic day for many and a good day for most, including me. Rob passed his aptitude test to apply for nursing school. That made us all smile. We remembered those who have fought (and continue to fight) so valiantly for our freedoms and liberties, especially Calvin, Raymond, Eddie, James, John, and Jacob. We salute them and honor them. I was also tickled to watch Lachlan play soccer in Aaron & Lindsey's backyard with some neighbor boys--I loved their little cheers & huddles & imitations of the "big boys". And it warmed my heart to see Avery play with her little sister, Jane, and cousin, Olive, and be a helper. They're all growing up. They're all amazing.

Saturday, I was grateful for a warm house in the midst of a drizzly rain/snow storm. It was never exactly SUNNY, but for a few brief moments, the rain stopped spitting and the wind quieted so Chels could take our picture for our holiday cards. I know they'll be wonderful, so I'm grateful for the time Chelsea took to stand in the cold and wet and try to avoid being run over by the traffic, just so I could have the card I've envisioned. I was also very grateful to celebrate Aaron & Lindsey's 9th anniversary and to think back nine years ago--the temple, the radiant couple, the family (Pop helping in the kitchen for the wedding breakfast), and the amazing reception. I love them so much. I'm grateful for their love & support of me, often dropping their own plans to help. It means the world to me.

Sunday, I was grateful for the miracle of forgiveness--whether it's the understanding that comes when keys are accidentally locked in the car and an expensive locksmith must be called, or the Savior's love when we fall short of our potential and choose unwisely. There is a power in the Atonement that transcends the bleak discouragement that comes when we fail. In His eyes, we are like little children who must constantly be picked up, brushed off, and set on our wobbly legs again, time after time. How grateful I am for His eternal love. I would be lost without it.

Today, I am grateful for the sunshine and the fresh air...and for Christmas music on the radio. I know, I know, it isn't even Thanksgiving yet. But the familiar carols bring memories of joy...and anticipation of joy to come. It's just a little pick-me-up that never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment