Thursday, June 28, 2012

Calling My Angels

This is a precious experience that happened to me about two weeks ago.  I've shared it with most family, but thought I should put it "in writing" before I forget details.  It was just one of the many miracles of my blessed life.
I recently read the book, "Heaven is Here", by Stephanie Nielson.  Stephanie and her husband, Christian, were in a terrible airplane crash a few years ago, and Stephanie was burned over 80% of her body.  She tells of the experience of the plane crashing and exploding into flames.  She was in the back seat and couldn't get her seat belt unbuckled.  She was literally burning alive.  Finally, after several attempts, she thought, well, that's it, I'm not getting out.  It was at that point that she noticed people around her through the flames.  One of them was her "Nana", a beloved grandmother who had died.  Suddenly, the seat belt was unbuckled, someone was pushing her out of the plane, and she heard Nana say, "Roll."  Nana continued to come to her and comfort her many more times during her long hospital stay and recovery, and Stephanie always calls Nana one of her angels.
One night a few weeks ago, I had gotten out of bed because of a very painful backache.  Besides that, I had re-injured my right hand somehow, so that I couldn't lift anything or move it much without tremendous pain.  Just what I needed, right?  I walked around a bit, but then sunk into the recliner to get some relief.  I was tense with pain, almost to the point of nausea, when I started to think about Stephanie and Nana.  Now, I'm not comparing myself and my pain to anything even in the vicinity of Stephanie's--she has been brave and good through continuous pain and countless surgeries and I've been wimpy and complaining--but thoughts of my own angel (or angels) made me smile through the back spasms.  Who were my angels?  Certainly my sweet and funny dad, Roy.  Dean's patient, forgiving, and supportive parents, Cal and Janice.  My maternal grandparents, Lillie and Wilford.  My paternal grandparents, Mary and Newell.  Salt of the earth.  Hard-working.  Tender to their children and grandchildren.  Rich with heritage and traditions.  Yes, these were my angels.
I took a pillow off the couch and laid it across my knees.  Then, I bent way over, an action that usually brings pain from the abdomen, but a little relief for the back.  I can usually only sit that way for about five minutes or less until my stomach protests too much.  In my mind, I told my angels, "I wish, wish, wish I could have you give me a back rub--a simple, massaging, kneading back rub to break up the knots inside and ease the tension or whatever I need to get rid of the pain so I can go to sleep."  I laid my head on the pillow, so very tired of being sick and in pain.  I didn't see anyone.  I didn't feel hands on my back.  But, in my imagination, I visualized all seven of my angels running their hands over my back, going round and round in circles, pushing up and down and back and forth.
The next thing I knew, I woke up.  I lifted my head off the pillow and knew there were creases in my face.  I have no idea how long I was asleep, but I had truly fallen fast asleep.  And there was no pain in my back!  I slowly lifted myself to a regular sitting position and even my abdomen felt okay.  I was totally relaxed.  I knew I could go get back in my bed and finish the rest of the night in a good, sound sleep.  As I went to push myself out of the recliner, I pushed with my right hand and was shocked--it, too, was pain-free!  I had actually considered going to Instacare to have it checked the next morning, but there I was, waving it around, clenching and un-clenching without any pain at all.  It was too miraculous!  I couldn't stop smiling...and crying.  My angels had done it, I know.  All I had to do was call them and they came.
I've called them a few times since then, through scans and finding veins and MRIs, and I've felt them with me through it all.  The blessing of a family is a treasure beyond worth.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Lisa. It was very touching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful miracles Mom!! Thank you for sharing! Heaven is here isn't it sometimes!! Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful thoughts Lisa-thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh Lisa - do you remember my telling you I joined the Church because my Grandy reached out and tapped me on my spirit and said you can do better then this (meaning the way I was living back then)? I SO believe in our "team" on the other side and how they help us. I'm so glad for your experience - you deserve NOT to be in pain!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Is the book you mentioned an LDS one or a general publication? Sounds like something I need to read. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful and sacred. Thank you for trusting us with this experience.

    ReplyDelete