Saturday, June 23, 2012

Wish I Could Party

Back to Huntsman this week.  Tuesday's schedule was blood work and CT scans of abdomen/chest/neck/pelvis.  Wednesday's schedule was to visit with Dr. Grossmann and team for results and future plans.  I was nervous.  I have to imagine the worst and what my reaction will be.  I guess it helps soften the blow.  I was also anxious about drinking contrast and how my tummy would react, but it seemed to tolerate it fairly well.  My biggest complaint was that I got full way before the first bottle was empty and there loomed the second bottle like a whole gallon of liquid!  (It's not, but it sure seemed to be.)  We had to be there at 3:00 for blood work and the scan was scheduled for 3:30.  I was taken into the back room of the lab about 3:10, while Linds stayed in the waiting room.  I had two wonderful technicians, but bless their hearts, they had their work cut out for them.  This is when I wish I still had the PICC line because my veins have had it.  They are either hard as rocks or tend to roll once the needle is inserted.  They've been "used and abused".  It was double the trouble because I also had to have an IV for the scan, along with the two or three tubes of blood for the tests.  At one point, the nurse was able to insert the IV, but then couldn't get any blood for the tests.  When she went to flush the IV line, the vein had "blown" and she had to start all over again.  I think I was poked seven or eight times (or more--I kind of lost count) in the arms and the hands.  They brought in the warm blankets to wrap up my arms and warm water gloves to put on my hands.  Linds got worried and came back to see what was going on and got to watch the whole frustrating process firsthand.  At 3:50, she asked them to call Radiology to let them know that we were in the building, but were still getting the IV in.  Finally, using the smallest needle (a pediatric size), they were able to get blood and IV from my left hand.  It was probably 4:15 when I got to the Radiology desk to check in.  The scan took about 5-10 minutes, tops, for all that effort.  Oh boy.
Wednesday morning, early, we met with Dr. Grossmann, nurse Carolyn, and nurse Karen.  Carolyn came in first and immediately launched into the scans (which I was very grateful for).  They were all clear.  I am NED once more.  What a huge relief and miracle!  For all that has happened, this was the best possible news I could ever wish for.  If I could only party hearty...
There was one complication.  Scans showed a blood clot in my abdomen.  Weird.  But, when I heard it, I wondered if that was why I've had all the pain.  All the doctors would admit was "could be."  There were also two pockets of fluid, which was the cause of my re-admission to the hospital, but no one seemed too concerned with those.  I know Dr. Scaife told us at one point that when they take out the drains, any remaining fluids are eventually absorbed into the body.  Okay, then, hurry & absorb already.  The bad side of the clot is that I will have to go back on blood thinners, the injection type, two times a day.  And before that, I would also have to have a brain MRI to make sure there was no melanoma up there.  Dr. Grossmann explained that most "met mels" (metastatic melanoma) tend to bleed and he didn't want anything bleeding in the brain if I were to start the blood thinner right away.  Um, thanks. 
I had the MRI done Friday afternoon at the Clinical Neurosciences Clinic behind Huntsman.  Never been there before.  Dean and I walked through a maze of hallways (because of construction in the building) with signs to direct us to the little office--one receptionist, quiet as a library--no music, no TV, everyone whispering.  Poor Dean.  I could just see him kicking back and snoring as soon as I left the room.  There were two little girls ahead of me having MRIs for a gene mutation study.  They got to stay in their normal clothes.  I had to change into the fashionable gown and big pants.  Technician Judy was able to start an IV on the 2nd try, though she wrapped my arms in warm blankets for about 10 minutes after hearing my story.  She decided to go above a well-used vein with a pediatric needle and as she was about to put it in, she told me to exhale, like I was blowing out birthday candles.  In it went!  She said that sometimes you can "trick" the nerves and blood vessels into not going into spasms by something like a big exhale.  Awesome.  I'll try anything.  The test went quicker than I thought.  I listened to the radio, even though sometimes the machine was noisier than the music.  Dean went exploring and found a new quicker & easier way to the elevators (in the "under construction" side, but everything was finished--just waiting for carpet & paint), bought himself an Orange Fanta out of the vending machine, and was wide awake when I came out.  All went well and about 5:30, nurse Karen called and told me everything looked great and I could start the Lovenox (sp?) that evening.  Another miracle and relief!  NED (no evidence of disease) everywhere I was scanned, including the brain.  I ate a blue rasperry Otter Pop to celebrate.  It gave me a tummy-ache, but it sure tasted good.

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you Aunt Lis! We love you. B & b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for NED!! And I'm sure glad you were able to enjoy the taste of the otter pop :) Life's small pleasures...

    ReplyDelete