Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Not a Concern

I've been (secretly) worried about a hole in my abdomen where the very first drain was placed on May 1.  Since its removal on June 1, I've been tending it cautiously.  The drainage was gross from the beginning.  I had to change the gauze morning and night.  Then, the past week or so, I noticed that the skin around the hole was reddish.  I immediately worried about infection.  I started cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide and putting Neosporin on the inside of the gauze.  I worried that if I called the doc's office, they'd say, "Get in here!  We need to check it out!" and maybe even, "You'll have to have a new drain and stay in the hospital until it gets better!" (this is how all my nightmares start).  There wasn't any pain, even when I cleaned out the hole, and I imagined (hoped, prayed, wished) that the drainage was getting less.  Finally, I called Lindsay, Dr. Scaife's nurse, yesterday.  She listened to my concerns, especially when I said, "Do I need to come in to have it checked?", and immediately said, "Oh, no, this is completely normal.  Since this was the first drain, it will take the longest to heal, maybe up to two or three weeks.  These drains heal from the inside out, so as it's healing and closing up, it's pushing any fluid to the surface--that's the drainage you're seeing.  The fact that the drainage has been less in the past few days is a good sign that it's closing up properly."  She then went on to tell me that my "self-medication" of hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic (Neosporin) wasn't necessary--I should just keep the wound clean with soap and water and it would heal on its own. 
You can't imagine my relief as I hung up the phone.  After all my setbacks and complications, I just assumed this would be one of the many that would require a doctor's care and some sort of procedure.  To hear that I'm healing on my own was very reassuring.  I AM healing!  I'm getting a little stronger and steadier every day.  I should be discharged from both Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy this week, and that makes me VERY happy. 

2 comments:

  1. Wounds that heal from the inside out are always the most bothersome, I've decided. I have a small one on my thumb doing the same thing--without the discharge. Glad you're healing. How's the therapy going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Lisa. I check your blog every day and hope for progress and good news. Keep getting better.

    Your old friend,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete