Saturday, September 8, 2012

Blessed again

Just a quick post about last Thursday's 3-month scan:  I was in the blood lab for an hour...and in the scan room for five minutes.  Enough said.  Poor veins.
I had a follow-up surgery appointment with Dr. Scaife Friday morning.  Lindsey was with me as my support and was having "good vibes".  I needed them.  I was nervous.  I wanted to know that things were really healing the way they should and that all was well.
I love Dr. Scaife.  She is a very visual person.  So, when she said that I still have the blood clot that is causing some of the abdominal pain, especially after I eat, she compared it to something like road construction--the blood is trying to move through that blocked vein instead of seeking out the detours.  "They'll get it soon," Dr. Scaife said.  "They'll find the alternative routes."  Yay.  She also compared the healing of this surgery and the way my body has to adjust to a giant spider web that has to be "swept away" for full healing.  When I first came out of surgery, that spider web was like one you'd find in your attic after years and years--thick, white, and hard to sweep away.  But now, after four months, the healing process is like a spider web you might find in your kitchen one morning.  You look at it, brush it away, and think, "Who did that in the night?"  They'll get easier to sweep away as time goes by.  Love the imagery!
She also made a copy of the "preliminary report" of my scans (apparently, the "final report" means that two radiologists have looked at the scans and given their assessment--at this point, only one has done so, but by Tuesday's appointment with Dr. Grossmann, it will be a "final report") and read through a bunch of the medical jargon, which basically says I have no evidence of disease right now.  Hooray!!  She said, "I'm not an oncologist, but this appears to be good news, and I wanted you to have that for the weekend."  What a blessing.  I am flooded with relief.  My weekend really will "feel" better with this news.
I'll post again after the Tuesday appointment. 
Prayer works!
Miracles are all around us!

1 comment: