Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Another day of Post-Surgery

September 20, 2011: I am alone in my very quiet house. I just slept for about three hours without twitching a muscle (at least, my blankets are all in the same place as when I drifted off). My hair is washed, but uncurled, so it looks a fright. I tweezed about five long black hairs off my chin earlier, thinking I would put on a little makeup today, but it's not going to happen. The phone rang while I was climbing into bed, but I let it ring and take a message. I'm a little blue from kissing my Chelsea-babies goodbye around 9:00 AM, and there's nothing but the sound of hammering and airplanes outside in the neighborhood. Yep, it must be Day 5 of post-surgery.

I'm wearing the wrong blouse today because the only pain I feel is the rubbing of collarless material against the port wound on the left side. Last night, as Chels was "frosting" my incision with Bacitracin, she counted the staples - there are 19. The symmetrical side of me thinks, why not just put in one more or one less to make it an even number? Some are spaced very close together, some seem too far apart. It looks hideous, even a little scary. I know how well it will heal, but this "days later" phase is kind of hard. I'll be on a scarf hunt again, which thankfully are still "in" this Fall. Wonder when I'll be okay enough to go back in a store for something, even a loaf of bread? Today, I'm feeling a bit fragile and don't want anyone to stare.

Chels should be calling soon to let me know they've arrived home all right. Rob left, hobbling on his wounded leg, with a long red bandage from his toes to his thigh. I hope he doesn't overdo. I pray those 12 incisions in his leg heal speedily and without complications. I need to call my momma tonight and see how physical therapy is going. I wonder if she just wants to stay in bed today, like I do. Maybe we both need a dose of chocolate. Bring on the M&Ms.

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried the dark chocolate acai berries from Costco? Very satisfying :) Have a comfy snuggle in bed and tell your mom I said hi and that I'm thinking of her as well as you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete