Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday...at last

Friday, April 13, 2012: Today, I'm thinking about my sweet father-in-law, Calvin. This would have been his 92nd birthday. Happy Birthday, Dad! You are a treasure.

This has been a killer week. Now that it's Friday, I look back and think, well, why was this week any harder than another? I have to believe that part of it was having the alarm wake me up every morning at 5:50 AM after a glorious "sleeping in" and waking up on my own at 8:00 time during Spring Break last week. I am just plain TIRED. Another reason is that I've had a few projects that have kept me hopping all week. And looking around my house, it certainly did not involve cleaning! What do I do all day? The list grows ever longer, especially when I've started making a list, called "Things to do before Surgery"...

I'm sad, too, that I haven't been able to work as many hours as I'd like to do. We need the money, and it's frustrating to see transcribing that needs to be done and dollars that could be adding up, and yet, I don't have the time or energy to do it. Tonight I was able to do my best work all week. After five days of puttering, I was finally able to sit down and crank out the calls. Now, I'm wondering if I should do some tomorrow. Ugh. If only a rich fairy godmother would shake her wand in my direction...

Part of the "to do's" on my lists this week involved looking things up on the Internet: we want sod for the backyard, Dean wanted to get registered to vote, Janessa wants to take a required computer class online this summer, we're booking a room in Las Vegas for the Scentsy convention in July, we want to go to Sea World in June, I'd like to trade my couch & love seat in the office for a day bed, I've signed up to join the community garage sale in May, we wanted to refinance our mortgage, I needed landscaping ideas, I opened some new online Bill Pay accounts, I looked at a few classified ads for PUPPIES, I checked what foods I should be eating to kill cancer and what foods I should not eat to keep my blood in a good range of thick versus thin... and added to all that, I like to keep a watch on some of my favorite blogs: Alisa with Stage IV melanoma who is undergoing IL-2 treatments, NieNie with her brand-new baby girl and her new book on sale, Cindy and her changing world from rock to forest, Crystal and her sweet boy's struggles against leukemia, etc. etc. etc. My brain is absolutely mobbed by information. I remember that in my meeting with Dr. Scaife, she said, "People know as much as doctors these days because they can look up everything on the Internet." It's true. And I think I would rather be ignorant about a lot of the medical stuff. Sometimes I think I would rather not know that Alisa found a new lump near her spine. I think I would rather not know that one cancer patient refused radiation & surgery and lived, while his brother-in-law went through chemo & surgery & radiation and grew so weak that he died. I think I would rather not know that Dean has a "sunspot" on his chest that needs to be checked by the dermatologist. I think I would rather not know that hearts can stop during surgery. I think I would rather not know that the pancreas does not like to be touched and will rebel if it is. I even think I would rather not know that avocados and broccoli and asparagus (all of which I've eaten in the past week) are NOT good for someone who is on blood thinners.

Still, it is kind of nice to know where we can buy sod for a good price and how long it will take to drive to Sea World. It's nice to know that we can refinance our home online now (even though it's still nerve-wracking!) and that I can buy some of my new favorite tunes to download on my phone for my morning walks on the Legacy Trail. That's what I've been doing this week, downloading STUFF into my brain and convincing myself that it's all for the better good, when really I should just take a few more calls, drink a cancer-fighting smoothie, and have an afternoon nap.

Happy Friday...

(Picture: Calvin and Janice, Dean's mom & dad in about 1945-46, probably about the time they became engaged. How sweet is that?)

No comments:

Post a Comment