Friday, March 23, 2012

Scans & Results

Friday, March 23, 2012: I had my scheduled CT scans and brain MRI yesterday. Our appointment was at 6:00 PM, so spent the day worrying about it and praying mightily. A happy respite was lunch at Arctic Circle with Mom, Chels & kids, Linds & kids, RyLee, and Malyree & Briia. LOVED IT! So good to watch those little ones play together and get to love on all of them, big and little.

I had to start drinking the contrast at 4:30 and soon after that, we drove to Salt Lake to drop off Chelsea's littles at Aunt Kelly's house. Lachlan loves to play with cousin, Jace, and Lauren was excited to hold Knox and play with Olive. What a blessing to have their help! We made good time to Huntsman, arriving about five minutes to 6:00. One of the (many) negatives to having such a late appointment was that there was no free Valet Parking - boo! This is the first time we've had to actually park ourselves and take the elevator from Level A up to the 3rd Floor to Radiology. I filled out the paperwork (learned that tattoos - even for eyelashes and brows - can affect MRIs - wow) and waited to be called back. While we were waiting, a man came out in a wheelchair with a blanket wrapped around him and the nurse told his wife that he had "gotten sick and claustrophobic" and they would need to reschedule for another time when they could give him Valium to relax him and help him through the scans (or whatever it was he was having done that day). I felt so bad for him and so grateful that I've been able to get through all my scans with little or no problems.

It wasn't long before I was called back and Mom & Chels were left with their stack of magazines and Janessa's laptop to keep them busy through the wait. I was taken directly to the scan room - unlike other times when I've been taken to a side room to have the IV put in to wait longer. While I was lying on the scan table, one techician proceeded to try to find a good vein and explained that for the pancreatic protocol scan, a large vein was needed to allow for the contrast to come in "fast". She tried in two spots and couldn't get a good vein. In comes the other technician to try. She tried THREE times, and one of those times, she hit a tendon. OUCH!! That one hurt. Of course, every time they'd start, they'd say, "Here comes a big poke." No kidding. Finally, they called another technician to help and he came from the University Hospital. I had gone into the scan room feeling pretty good and not freezing cold like I usually am, but by this point, I was nervous and anxious and I needed that warm blanket they offered. My veins have been hard to access lately anyway, but one of the technicians said that the lateness of the appointment and the fact that I'd been fasting since noon didn't help at all. She said that if this was going to be something I'd have to do often, I should consider a port, and she also recommended that I always get these appointments in the morning. Believe me, that's what I would have preferred, for sure. "Paul", the U of U technician, arrived and proceeded to probe and feel for a good vein. He said, "You know, it's mostly a matter of luck, not skill. We all have the skill to do this, but sometimes it takes a bit of luck and I hope I have the luck to get this in the first try." Unfortunately, it was not to be. He tried a couple of times and wasn't able to get past the first (owie!) poke. One of the original technicians said that the only other thing they could think of was to have me go to the U of U ER, have them look at my arms under ultrasound where they could see the big veins, and have them put the IV in. She also said that it might mean I wouldn't be back to Huntsman in time for my MRI and that there was a possibility that I'd have to reschedule one or both of the procedures. It was awful. I couldn't imagine having already drunk the nasty contrast for nothing, been poked six or more times for nothing, and going out into the waiting room to tell my family that we'd have to reschedule. Just as we were checking with the ER to see how long a wait there was for me to be seen, Paul said, "Let me try your right arm one more time." I started praying. He poked and prodded, stuck the needle in, and for a minute I thought I was going to see him shake his head. Then, those happy words, "It's in." I could have kissed him! Thank you, thank you! With the IV in, the three CT scans - neck, chest, and pancreatic protocol - were done within about 20 minutes.

Then, on to the MRI room. I had to disrobe (which seems strange that I laid on the CT table fully clothed, but for a picture of my BRAIN, I had to put on the fashionable scrubs!) and taken to the scan room. I've had one other MRI (at the Salt Lake Clinic) and I remember the noise and being able to see the technician through the glass window as the test was performed. This time, she asked if I wanted to listen to music. YES! She put a pair of big, padded headphones on me, strapped me into a stable position, and on we went for the 35 minute MRI. Thank heavens for the music that (semi) drowned out the loud beeps and blasts of the test. Do they do that to monitor how your brain reacts to noise and stimulus? I'd really like to know, because at times, even the table rattled with the noise. I felt like I was in an earthquake! I love that the MRI is broken up into different scans, and the technician's voice would come through the speakers to tell me, "Okay, I'm starting the next scan and it will last 4 minutes," and so on, until the 35 minutes was up. Mom always asks me if there is ever any gasping, as the technicians watch their computer screens. No, thank heavens. They all seem to keep a good poker face at all times.

This morning, at 10:00 AM, I called Dr. Grossmann's office and talked to one of the receptionists. I asked if Dr. G or Karen or Carolyn were available to talk to me about the results (or lack of results). She said that Dr. G and Karen were both off today...of course. But, she said that she would transfer me to Karen's voicemail so I could leave a message for the person covering for her today. I left the message that I wanted someone to call me TODAY and let me know the results or when I would be able to get the results, as I (and everyone else) was very anxious about them. About noon, the phone rang and I saw "University of Utah" on the Caller ID. The person on the other end said that she had talked to Dr. Grossmann and he had seen the results of the scans. She said, "The scan of the neck is negative. The scan of the chest is negative. And the scan of the pancreas is negative." She must have heard the disbelief in the way I said, "really???", because she laughed a little and said, "Yes, Dr. Grossmann thought that was strange, too, especially since something showed up on the PET scan you had. But, there is nothing there now." Miracles? Yes. Answer to prayer? Yes.

She went on to say that he didn't have the "official" results of the brain MRI, but that he had looked at them and "in his eyes, they look normal." I trust his eyes. She said if there was anything different when the official results came in, she would let me know.

I have a lot of questions, like "what does this really mean?" I know the tumors have not disappeared - that would be beyond miraculous. But, if it means that they are nowhere near the pancreas, that means I would be able to have the "simple" stomach surgery and not the Whipple. It may determine a lot of the other unknowns, as well, such as further treatment.

My caller also said, "Dr. Grossmann wanted me to remind you that you have an appointment with the surgeon, Dr. Scafe, next Friday, March 30, at 10:00 AM." I didn't even know I had an appointment with Dr. Scafe, but that's okay. It's on the calendar now.

I am so relieved and a little disbelieving, but not in the miracles - just in what the miracles really mean. I know prayers have been answered. I know that fasting and priesthood blessings provided these miracles, too. I am so grateful. I am breathing much easier tonight.

(Picture: November 2, 2008, at nephew, Jeddy's, baptism in Washington)

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for you, Lisa, and hooray for the power of prayer and the Lord's hand in our lives. I'm so happy for all the clear results of the scans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete