Monday, May 2, 2011

New Month, New Week

May 2, 2011: Went south over the weekend and enjoyed a wonderful "blessing day" for our sweet Knox Aaron. It was a beautiful spring day, all six of my grands were within hugging distance, and I felt so grateful. Rob gave his precious son a sweet blessing and the Spirit was strong. In the circle were both "papas" and two wonderful uncles. We are so blessed.

After the blessing, a member of the congregation got up to speak and said, "Knox Stephenson. I want all of you to remember that name. Did you see the size of the men in that circle? Knox is destined to be a tall, superstar basketball player someday. Remember that name!" I loved that.

Last Friday, I had a mammogram. It was a piece of cake. Even the cute technician remarked that I was "very relaxed." And why not? I've lost all my inhibitions about my fat rolls and lily-white skin, and one more test in the grand scheme of things is just one more hour in my life. The best part was the chance to meet "Martsie", who was truly an angel in disguise. She was deeply concerned after hearing my story and shared that she has a friend battling melanoma who has created a sort of forum for us "soldiers" to lift and help each other. When she gave me a hug as I left the office, I thought in what other circumstance would that ever happen, unless we've been touched emotionally by each other? It only confirmed to me that, though this is a battle, there are countless "first aid stations" along the way with just the right love and compassion and gentle inner healing to keep me going day to day.

This morning started a new week of radiation treatments. I woke up with a runny nose (hopefully from allergies) and all I could think of was, "please don't sneeze under the mask!" My nose is squished anyway - it always takes a minute to calm my breathing and not panic that I'm not getting enough air. But once again, the everlasting kindness of the Lord took over. I was fine under the mask, I was able to breath, I didn't need to swallow, and my runny nose has disappeared.

It's also a new month. Before I erased April from the dry erase calendar on my fridge, I wrote down all the doctor's appointments and tests I've had during the month. FOURTEEN! 14 visits, a couple of vein pokes, teeth and eyes checked out, meeting new doctors, revisiting old ones, seeing my life mapped out in a daily parade of treatments. Who would have guessed? So grateful that I don't know - exactly - what my future holds. I might run screaming from the room. And then again, I might be totally overwhelmed at the bountiful blessings pouring down from heaven. I have no doubt in that future - it has already happened and continues to happen each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment