Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wonderful Wednesday

May 4, 2011: Happy Birthday to my wonderful daughter-in-law, Lindsey. I am so grateful for her in my life right now. She has been by my side from the first days of this journey, and continues to be my taxi driver, my friend, and my advisor. I love her dearly. She is one of my best blessings.

Today is a beautiful day. I can't help but smile and feel joy. The sun is out, the grass is green, the sky is a radiant blue, and "all is right with my soul." I had my 7th radiation treatment this morning. My mask didn't hurt, my breathing was calm, the room was a little warmer, and there was the smell of fresh-baked glazed donuts in the air (Linds sent me in to treatment with two dozen donuts for the staff to celebrate HER birthday - very sweet). I had a short visit with Dr. Avizonis, who made me laugh. She told me to "enjoy the honeymoon" for as long as I can before the side effects of treatment start popping up. She gave me an easy, home remedy for dry mouth (from the loss of my salivary glands) and reassured me that the metal taste I'm experiencing now will probably end by next week - when I lose my taste buds! She also told me that when I do lose my taste, I shouldn't worry about "balance" in my meals - "Go ahead and eat whatever feels good in your mouth and sounds good to your ears, even though your tongue won't care a bit." I like that! I hope something chocolate wins that test...or maybe ice cream...

"Smile. Let everyone know that today you're a lot stronger than you were yesterday." Great quote. And if you're wondering, I'm smiling right now.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't get a visit in before your radiation treatments started. Can I call instead? I so want to see you and talk to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quote, Mom! Missing you!!! love you!!!
    Happy Birthday Linds!

    ReplyDelete